Vivekananda Jayanti

On the 145th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda on 12th January, 2008, I thought of taking a trip down the memory lane, and remember the occasions when we used to celebrate the great sage's Jayanti, every year with a lot of fanfare, year after year, when I was in primary school. The school where I studied, Chaitanya Vidya Shala, Channarayapatna, Karnataka, was where the life and times of this great soul was introduced to us at a very young age, along with the values of life he preached.

Here, I would like to "publish" a Kannada poem I had written about Swami Vivekananda, as a 12 year old. Although I thought I could rephrase many things now, I wanted to retain what I had written as a kid, with a limited vocabulary.

ಹುಟ್ಟಿದನು ಮಕರ ಸಂಕ್ರಾಂತಿಯಂದು
ವಿಶ್ವನಾಥ ಭುವನೇಶ್ವರಿಯರ ಮಗನಾಗಿ
ನರೇಂದ್ರನಾಥ, ನರೇನ್, ಬಿಲೆ ಎಂದೆಲ್ಲರಿಂದ
ಕರೆಸಿಕೊಂಡನು ಪ್ರೀತಿಯ ಮಗುವಾಗಿ

ಈಶ್ವರಚಂದ್ರ ವಿದ್ಯಾಸಾಗರರ
ಶಾಲೆಯಲ್ಲೆ ಮೊದಲ ಪಾಠ
ನಾಯಕನಾಗಿ ಆಡುತ್ತಿದ್ದನು
ಗೆಳೆಯರೊಂದಿಗೆ ಆಟ

ಮಾಡುತ್ತಿದ್ದನು ಏಕಾಗ್ರತೆಯಿಂದ
ನಿತ್ಯ ದೇವರ ಧ್ಯಾನ
ದೇವರನ್ನು ಕಾಣುವ ಕಡೆಗೇ
ಇತ್ತು ಅವನೆಲ್ಲ ಜ್ನಾನ

ರಾಮಕೃಷ್ಣ ಪರಮಹಂಸರ ಕಾಣಲು
ದಕ್ಷಿಣೇಶ್ವರದೆಡೆಗೆ ನಡೆದ
ಅವರನ್ನೆ ಗುರುವನ್ನಾಗಿ ಸ್ವೀಕರಿಸಿ
ದೈವ ದರ್ಶನವ ಪಡೆದ

ಪರಮಹಂಸರಿಂದಲೇ ಪಡೆದನು
ಸನ್ಯಾಸತ್ವದ ದೀಕ್ಷೆ
ಶಿಕಾಗೋದಲ್ಲಿ ಹುಸಿಗೊಳಿಸಲಿಲ್ಲ
ಭಾರತೀಯರ ನಿರೀಕ್ಷೆ

ಪರಿವ್ರಾಜಕನಾಗಿ ಜೀವನ ನಡೆಸಿ
ತೊರೆದ ತಾನೇ ತನ್ನ ದೇಹ
"ವಿವೇಕಾನಂದ"ನಾಗಿ ಬದುಕಿ
ಗಳಿಸಿದ ವಿಶ್ವ ಸ್ನೇಹ

- ವೆಂಕಟೇಶಪ್ರಸನ್ನ

Comments

shaamala said…
Excellent thoughts for a 12 year old! I was also similarly inspired by our Lion Parivrajaka Swami Vivekaananda.

Thank you for posting it.

Shaamala